2.17.2010

Day 45 - Meet Victoria

Victoria is my Royal Doulton.  She was given to me by my grandmother. 
Growing up, my grandmother bought a Royal Doulton each time a grandchild was born.  We grew up knowing that when she passed, we would be given our doll to remember her.  I loved going to my grandmother's house and looking at Victoria behind the glass of her curio cabinet.  My grandmother's home was filled with beautiful things.  She wore gloves.  And hats.  She had an entire room dedicated to her wardrobe.  She was very much a lady.  It is strange to write "was" because my grandmother has not passed away, but she is no longer the woman I spent my life knowing.  She suffers from Alzheimers.  All of her beautiful things have found their way to new homes, as has she. 
Victoria sits in my bedroom and reminds of my grandmother - the woman who helped me become the woman I am and the woman I still very much love, even if she no longer remembers me.

5 comments:

  1. What a nice tribute to your grandmother, Lisa. You just can't put a price on memories like that. I love Royal Doulton. I have a couple of pieces that I got from my mother and I think of her every time I look at them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful tribute and lovely piece of Doulton. The colours are so strong.

    Si

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh... I want to say something here, but words are escaping me at the moment. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This kind of stories bring tears to my eyes, but I'm thankful that my grandma still knows me.

    Thanks for sharing something so special with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the same Doulton. Also from my Grandmother who had a Doulton for every grand-daughter. My grandmother passed away shortly before my oldest was born. It still makes me sad she didn't see her first great grandchild, although she did feel him kick, and although she couldn't communicate with us at that point she smiled when he kicked her.
    Thank-you for sharing your Grandmother's story. She sounds like an amazing woman.

    ReplyDelete